Friday, September 25, 2009

My Favorite Things Part I (Art Nouveau)

More like ideas. Haha.

First things first, I'm having browser problems in the other computer so I wasn't able to post anything for the past two weeks.

Second, my favorite things. I'm going to list down the design ideas/structures/things that I like, and that someday I'll be able to do when I make my own home :D

1. Art Nouveau

I may not get all the facts right, since I'm writing this through memory, so bear with me (and post a comment if you see some discrepancy). The things that I remember whenever Art Nouveau comes to mind are swirlies, nature (like flowers and vines), linear style art, posters, Mucha, and Gaudi.



Art Nouveau is a response against classical, historical art that has been going on for the past century. It can be describe as using nature themes like using plant motifs such as fleur de lis, flowers, and vines. It is also described as using flat, linear outcome, similar to Japanese artstyle called ukiyo-e.

This movement came out from the Arts and Crafts movement and started in Europe, and depending on the location, is known for different names, such as Jugendstil in Germany, and Vienna Secession in Austria.



Alphonse Mucha's posters were used mostly as advertisements. For example, the poster above is Maud Adams as Joan of Arc. What I like about Mucha is the successful use of ukiyo-e technique, the intricacy of the work, and the use of colors and gradients.



And here is Antoni Gaudi, probably my favorite architect of all time. His works gives me a feeling of grandeur, and childish fantasies. Look it up on Google. He even designed and constructed a roof that looked like alligator skin (complete with the spikes).

The above picture is Casa Batllo. Reminds me of a Casper film for some reason.

And that's all for now. I'll post my second favorite thing tomorrow. Bye~

No comments:

Post a Comment